CAWLEYS WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1947 BY REG & FRANK CAWLEY AND WAS INITIALLY KNOWN AS STANBRIDGES (LUTON) LTD BEFORE CHANGING TO F & R CAWLEY IN 1952.
Throughout the 50’s and 60’s the principal business was road building along with some earth moving and transportation for the sand and ballast industry. During these early years the company was a major supplier of road building materials to the M1 construction project.
Reg Cawley became sole proprietor from the late 60’s having bought out his brother’s shares and continued to run the company until his death in 1972. In 1971 Reg’s son, Jon, joined the business and following his father’s death became Managing Director at Cawleys. During the 1970’s the waste disposal side of the business flourished and by the end of the decade the company was operating 40 vehicles and associated plant and equipment.
As with all industries, new technology has resulted in advancements in waste management and during his time as Managing Director, Jon has helped to pioneer a shift from the traditional waste disposal genre to resource management.
Cawleys has never owned or managed a landfill site, preferring instead to invest in waste recovery and reprocessing technology. Pioneering the use of anaerobic digestion (AD) for commercial food waste in 2008 and opening a state of the art Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) in 2009, the business is committed to the application of technology to provide resource management solutions.
Now a third generation family business, Jon’s daughters, Anna and Kate, play an integral role in the current direction of the company. With its innovative food waste recycling round, award winning environmental change management programmes through its national environmental consultancy arm, WasteSolve, and a portfolio of specialist services including specialist waste division HazSolve, Cawleys is now a strong, diverse resource management organisation.